PAN (Pupil Admission Number)
The number of pupils for each year group is as follows:
Children are eligible to start school the September following their 4th birthday, but legally must start the term following their 5th birthday.
Following receipt of your child’s school place you may choose to take up this place:
• Immediately (from September)
• On a part-time basis until the beginning of the term after their 5th birthday; or
• Defer your child’s admission until the beginning of the term after their 5th birthday.
Please be aware that if your child was born during the summer term and you chose to defer their admission to school until the following September, they will be admitted into the year 1 group, and not Reception.
Most of our pupils come from the catchment area of the four parishes of Burrough Green, Brinkley, Carlton and Westley Waterless. Children from outside these parishes are admitted if places are available, according to a list of priorities:
Children who have a statement of special educational needs that names the school will be admitted. Those children with a statement of special educational needs that does not name the school will be referred to Student Assessment to determine an appropriate place. Thereafter, the criteria used to allocate places in the event of over-subscription are as follows:
1. Children in Care, also known as Looked After Children (LAC), and children who were
looked after but ceased to be so by reason of adoption, a resident order or special guardianship order;
2. Children living in the catchment area with a sibling at the school at the time of admission;
3. Children living in the catchment area;
4. Children living outside the catchment area who have a sibling at the school at the
time of admission
5. Children living outside the catchment area who have been unable to gain a place at their catchment area school because of oversubscription.
6. Children who live outside the catchment area, but nearest the school as measured by a straight line.
In cases of equal merit in each set of criteria, priority will go to children living nearest the school as measured by a straight line.
All applications for admission must be sent to the Admissions Office,CC1206, Castle Court, Shire Hall, Cambridge, CB3 0AP. Telephone: 03450 451370. You may also apply online at www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/admissions
Full-time places are available from the first day, but parents are welcome to decide upon the length of day to suit their individual child’s needs during the first few weeks.
The majority of our new children attend Burrough Green playgroup, which is held in the renovated listed building, adjacent to the Reception classroom.Playgroup children are also invited to have school lunches and stay for some afternoons in the term before they start school.This strengthens the school-playgroup link and has the clear advantage of smoothing the transition into school life as the children are already familiar with the building and the staff.
Children due to start school are invited into Class 1 for short periods during the second half of the summer term. Also at this time, parents will be invited to attend an open evening to explain how the Reception Class operates, and to pass on an information pack about school. This includes the following:
• a school admissions form
• a list of school holiday dates
• a general invitation to assemblies during the summer term
• a transport information sheet
• a Home-School Agreement
• The Bugle from the previous term
Prospective parents are welcome to make appointments to visit the school at other times.