Burrough Green PTA and Friends
Minutes of the AGM 27th September 2017
Karina Joyce (Chair)
Sheena Brusell (Treasurer)
Susanne Hinde (Secretary)
Michelle Wishart (Trustee)
1. Apologies from Polly Fenwick, Stacey Read,Claire Addison, Kim Howard, Karen Langlands (may be late), Rachel Drennan, Rebecca Pinckard, Madeline Vosper.
2. Treasurer presented the accounts. Query payment that the abortive coach fee has not been invoiced to the PTA yet. Accounts approved.
3. Minutes of the last meeting had been posted on the school website and were approved.
4. Karina Joyce proposed by Michelle Wishart and Michelle Morley and was re-appointed as Chair, Susanne Hinde proposed by Paul Anson and seconded by Angela Read and was re-appointed as Secretary. We waited for Karen Langlands who was due to attend before appointing a treasurer.
5. Class representatives are the PTA’s link between parents and the PTA, each year needs a class rep who can help with putting together hampers etc. The following persons volunteered (or had volunteered) and were appointed;
a. Reception – Mandy Corbett
b. Year 1 Class 1 – Ruth MacDonald.
c. Year 1 Class 2 - Francesca Law
d. Year 2 Class 2 – Ashley Norton
e. Year 3 – Stacey Read
f. Year 4 – Kim Howard
g. Year 5- Michelle Wishart
h. Year 6 – Michelle Morley
6. Introduction to fundraising group, by Paul Anson (a trustee of Playgroup). Need to fundraise due to funding deficits. School and Playgroup struggle with fundraising although for its size Playgroup has been more successful relatively speaking. Focus on funding rather than the fun aspect of some events run by PTA and Playgroup for the benefit of the children. Many people are affected by the school, including alumni, people whose house values are affected etc. Intention is to reach out to local businesses etc. First meeting on Monday. Trying to find 10 volunteers, one person short at the moment. Intention is to meet once a month, each to take on an initiative, with short updates so no one person is overloaded. Need a list of 10 or so volunteers, some with skills IT etc. £14k is the funding aim. Susanne Hinde is looking into the structure of the group to ensure it fits within the PTA’s charitable aims etc.
7. AOB. DJ Stu availability Friday 17th November. Ashley Norton suggested film evening, kids to be shown a film after school, ticket to cover a drink and popcorn. Potentially finish at 5.30. Angela will look into this as there are licensing issues.
8. Next meeting Wednesday 11th October to discuss further fundraising.
Thank you to Michelle and Izzy for installing the eye catching PTA notice board located outside in the courtyard.
|May Day 2014
The PTA held a headdress and button hole workshop on the eve of May Day which was very successful. Parents came for an evening get-together to help create some beautiful headdresses and help with button hole and posy making.
The following morning the atrium was very floral with PTA members making the posies that would be distributed around the village.
Thank you to all the PTA who helped to decorate the school and supply and serve a lovely afternoon tea.
What is the PTA?
A PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a group of like minded people, parents and teachers, who are interested in supporting the school; creating a partnership between the parents, teachers and other associated with the school. This in turn provides the opportunity for everyone (parents / teacher) to work together with a common goal.
The PTA has 3 Elected members (Chairman, Secretary & and Treasurer) which are voted in annually at the PTA AGM from the volunteer committee members.
What do we do?
Fundraise to help the school provide ‘Extras’. For example:
1) for the pupils such as subsidising school trips and special activities (dancing lessons, puppet shows etc).
2) for school such as purchasing of new equipment and providing occasional extra maintenance.
3) regular financial assistance with school photocopying and hiring of the Reading Room for school functions including dining facilities for those children having packed lunches.
Run Social events for parents and children which can be a great opportunity to meet & get to know each other.
Support the school in its present and future need.
Types of Fundraising:
· Sponsored events inside (Spelling / Maths) and outside (Cycle rides) the school environment.
· Providing refreshments for all school productions / events.
· Auctions and Summer Party
Changes to our PTA:
· In 2004 we formally established our ‘Constitution’, which sets out generally guideline / rules for the operation of the PTA.
· 2nd March 2004 we became a ‘Registered Charity’ with the Charity Commission. This is on hold during 2010/11 but hope to reinstate it soon.
Summary; Our Aims
To advance the education of pupils in the school by;
Developing effective relationships between staff, parents and others associated with the school.
Engaging in activities and providing facilities or equipment which support the school too advance the education of the pupils.
All parents and teachers are very welcome to join and participate in the PTA, even if they only have a small amount of free time available to offer. We always need new people with enthusiasm to keep the PTA a fresh and dynamic part of our school.
Buy.at is a leading UK online marketing network serving a wide range of brand name shops. The school has a webshop which is completely FREE to run, and all you have to do is place your online shopping orders through the buy.at.co.uk\burroughgreenschool webshop link too get great value and exclusive discounts - and raise up to 15% of the cost of every purchase made via your webshop.
Our webshop will contain an ever-growing number of retailers such as BT, Comet, Teleflorist, Thorntons, Marks & Spencer and John Lewis.
Please have a browse in our shop at any time; just follow this link…
New school uniform items, (such as Pique Shirts, Cardigans and Jumpers) can be purchased through the PTA. Order forms can be printed from the website for purchases through the academic year or for further details, please contact Sheena Brusell (PTA Treasurer) via the school office.
Second hand uniform is often sold at events such as May Day and Sports Day.
PTA – USEFUL LINKS
NCPTA(National Confederation of Parent Teacher Associations)
NCPTA Membership No.11502; School PostcodeCB8 9NH
NCPTA, a registered charity, is the membership organisation for Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs) and other home school partnerships throughout England Wales and Northern Ireland.
CEFM (Centre for Education & Finance Management)
A team of dedicated specialists assisting staff fully to understand and implement new initiatives, saving time and money which can both be spent elsewhere.
The Charity Commission is established by law as the regulator and registrar for charities in England and Wales.
Inland Revenue ~ Charity
Schoolzone was set up by a group of enthusiastic teachers and parents in Oxford in 1997. We could see the need for safe, differentiated Internet material which teachers, students and parents can access easily. So we devised Schoolzone and, with the help of over 400 UK teachers created the site as you now see it.
"An excellent and professional website offering educational and emotional support to teachers, parents, pupils and schools."