17th December 2021
Dear Parents and Carers
To see what’s been happening at BGPS, please go to our website and Twitter feed:
We have reached the end of another term! Despite Covid, the children (and staff) have continued to be aspirational, resilient and kind, and we have enjoyed lots of very positive times in school. We welcomed the new YR children in September with our Y5 buddies who were thoughtful and patient, and we began to feel like one BG family again. Children have participated in Bikeability, orienteering, netball, maths and spelling bees, International Artists’ Day, National Poetry Day, and the Y5/6 Residential Visit. We have raised money for Jeans for Genes, MacMillan, Children in Need and Save the Children; and we have been supported by the amazing fundraising efforts of the PTA as well as enjoying their disco and Elfridges. Through their projects, the children have enjoyed learning about their local environment, our school, our digestive system, space, and black history. We were excited to share our Harvest Festival with you, and also perform poems for you on National Poetry Day; and we were very proud when Benjamin Zephaniah himself re-tweeted our post of the children performing! Christmas in school has been joyful with Christmas jumpers, Christmas music, and even Christmas maths! Einstein and Malala Classes loved sharing their version of the Nativity with their mums and dads, and “Carols on the Playground” this afternoon was a lovely way to end the term.
We have much to be grateful for as 2021 draws to a close. Christmas is a time for hope; and as we look forward to whatever 2022 may bring, we know that we will weather it together. We wish you all a happy and restful Christmas!
There were lots of fantastic projects to share on Wednesday afternoon. We could really see the aspiration of some children (and their parents!) who had clearly planned out their projects and done a bit each week to produce very high quality work, filled with learning, to share with the other children. Well done! Please visit our website to see some photos; I hope that you are inspired by their aspiration. We live in hope that we will be able to invite parents to our next Open Afternoon which will be on Wednesday 9th February!
Please could you help us by sending in your clean, washed blue and green plastic milk bottle tops for Teresa Class’s next project? Thank you!
From the Governors
The governing body met on 9th December, and would like to share the following key points from the meeting:
• Governors were impressed by the way the staff pulled together in response to the recent episode of Covid cases which had also seen both Head and Deputy Head away from the school at the same time.
• Governors were delighted with the success of the PTA’s Auction of Promises and the Elfridges event, which received lots of positive feedback from pupils.
• Although Covid restrictions have meant some events could not go ahead as planned, Governors were pleased to see the school community coming together for the Nativity and Carols on the Playground at Christmas
• Governor monitoring visits have continued to go ahead virtually this term and governors look forward to being able to visit the school in person when guidance allows.
• During periods of self-isolation by pupils, governors were pleased to see that remote learning activities had been put in place quickly and efficiently to minimise disruption to the pupils’ education.
• We still have a vacancy for a Parent Governor. Please get in touch if you would like more information.
Please check our school website for information about future events, term dates, training days etc. http://www.burroughgreen.cambs.sch.uk/website/calendar/386598
Wednesday 5th January – Start of the Spring Term
Anna Hayesmore and the Burrough Green Team
Amazon Smile - for any last minute Christmas shopping, please remember to use Amazon Smile and nominate 'Burrough Green PTA and Friends' as your chosen charity. For each purchase, the PTA receives a small percentage donation from Amazon at no extra cost to you. It's a really simple way to donate without even realising it!
We wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, healthy New Year!
Amazon Wish Lists
A big thank you to parents who have brought items from the wish lists, it is very much appreciated that you are supporting the school. You can find our wish lists here:
Class 1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3NPNW0VXC5B5L/ref=cm_go_nav_hz
Class 2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/1G7U68RHVFQ87?ref_=wl_share
Class 3: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/DT99H5C97OM9?ref_=wl_share
Class 4: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/IR87MQS5XAYJ?ref_=wl_share
My School Fund
In association with Argos and Sainsbury’s, we have a new way to fundraise for the school when you are shopping. Every time you make a purchase, both you and BG benefit with cashback. Click on the link to register as an individual and link your account to the school. https://www.myschoolfund.org/#/