22nd July 2021
Dear Parents and Carers,
We have come to the end of another year, and the inevitable goodbyes that come with it. We will miss the children, families and staff who are moving to new schools and new communities. Thank you all for being a part of our community at BGPS as we worked together to discover and learn. The Bible tells us that God is always close to us, and will never leave us, wherever we go. Psalm 139 says, “If I go up to the heavens, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” Good luck with your next steps, wherever they take you.
Have a good summer, everyone!
Operating Procedures for September
We are hoping that things will be more “normal” in September (although I can’t rule out any last minute government u-turns). Please read through the FAQ document attached for more information.
After learning about some Nobel Prize winners, the children have chosen new names for their classes for next year. From September the classes will be called:
- Class 1 - Malala Class https://malala.org/malalas-story
- Class 2 - Einstein Class https://www.biography.com/scientist/albert-einstein
- Class 3 - Teresa Class https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/50075153
- Class 4 - Obama Class https://www.biography.com/us-president/barack-obama
I think it might take me a while to get used to!
The full governing body (FGB) met on 19th July, and would like to share the following points with you:
- Governors were delighted to read the positive comments from the recent visit by the Local Authority adviser for Maths, who said:
“The Maths Advisor and Maths Subject Lead noted that the standard of work in books is a significant improvement than 3 years ago when the school started adopting a mastery approach. The MA concluded his visit by commenting on the notable improvements the school has made in mathematics in the last three years. The MA gave examples of improvements to the school environment, as well as the progress in developing children’s books and especially their positive attitudes towards maths.”
- Governors thanked the Headteacher for all the time and effort spent in thoroughly exploring the possibility of operating an afterschool care provision. Governors agreed that it is not financially viable to operate at the moment but the option will be kept under review.
- Governors were pleased to see great improvement in the children’s progress over what has been a very difficult year, and were particularly pleased with the progress of Pupil Premium and SEND children.
- Governors were pleased to hear how children’s wellbeing has been supported, especially throughout the pandemic. A recent pupil wellbeing survey showed that the KS2 children think lots of people care about them; they can find lots of fun things to do; they get on well with people; and they have many things to be proud of.
- Governors were thrilled to see the rich, broad curriculum being delivered and enjoyed hearing about the many achievements of the children including the Lands End to John o’ Groats Walk and Y5 pupils reaching the final of the County Maths competition. It was also lovely to see that the children have still managed to attend various school trips and visits to enrich their learning, despite the restrictions due to the pandemic.
In September, please remember that our PE kit is:
- School PE T-shirt in their team colour
- Black shorts or black tracksuit/leggings/skins
- School sweatshirt
(Football strips or brightly coloured leggings are not part of the school PE kit and must not be worn. PE T-shirts can be ordered through the school office.)
If you have any free time that you could give to support the children in school, we would love to have you. This could be a regular weekly commitment e.g. to read with children or to support learning in the classroom for an afternoon each week, or it could be a one-off e.g. offering to come in and cook with the children as a part of their project work. Perhaps you have expertise in a particular area and you could run a lunchtime, before-school or after-school club e.g. chess, computing, gardening ….. Maybe you could help us to get the walking bus up and running again.
If you think you might be able to help, or know of someone in the community who could, please get in touch. We need you! (You will need to have a DBS check, but this is free of charge, and Sara Hammond in the office will arrange it.)
Anna Hayesmore and the Burrough Green Team
Please see the calendar on our website for up-to-date event information.
Amazon Wish Lists
A big thank you to parents who have brought items from the wish lists, it is very much appreciated that you are supporting the school. You can find our wish lists here:
Class 1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3NPNW0VXC5B5L/ref=cm_go_nav_hz
Class 2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/1G7U68RHVFQ87?ref_=wl_share
Class 3: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/DT99H5C97OM9?ref_=wl_share
Class 4: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/IR87MQS5XAYJ?ref_=wl_share